There is a reason dogs are considered man’s best friend. Dogs are the most common pets among domesticated animals. Most people consider their dog a family member or a best friend. Dogs are given names, including the family’s surname. They show up in family pictures, on family vacations, and even in weddings. We talk to them as if they are human, confide our deepest secrets to them, and write them into our wills.
Table Of Contents
- Comparison of Best Dog Ear Cleaner in 2018
- 7 Best Dog Ear Cleaner Reviews in 2018
- Final Thoughts
On farms and ranches, on search and rescue crews, they work right alongside us. They are our companions and our helpers. According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control), dog ownership also has health benefits for humans.
Studies show that dogs have positive impacts on our lives – at all ages. Dogs can contribute to cognitive, emotional, and social development in children. They decrease stress and help people of all ages maintain an active lifestyle. There are many ways humans benefit from their relationships with dogs.
Comparison of Best Dog Ear Cleaner in 2018
|Brand||Natural Ingredients||Medicated||View on Amazon|
|EcoEars All-Natural Dog Ear Cleaner||Yes||No||Check Price
|Pet King Brand Zymox Otic||No||Yes||Check Price
|VetWELL EarWELL Cat||No||No||Check Price
|Petpost Pet Ear Cleaner Wipes||Yes||No||Check Price
|Virbac Advanced Ear Cleaner||No||No||Check Price
|Vet’s Best Dog Ear Cleaner Kit||Yes||No||Check Price
|Doggie Dailies Pet Ear Cleaner||Yes||No||Check Price
Along with those benefits comes responsibility. As your dog’s chosen human, it is your responsibility to ensure that your dog has a healthy, happy life. Below are a few tips:
- Provide your dog with a safe, comfortable, and warm environment in which to live.
- Provide your dog with access to clean, fresh water each day.
- Fence in your yard to allow your dog to have room to roam and play.
- When using a kennel, keep it clean and clear of feces and urine.
- Take your dog to a veterinarian for routine checkups.
- Stay up-to-date on preventative measures for heartworms, fleas, and ticks.
- Stay up-to-date on vaccinations.
- Bathe your dog frequently and watch for signs of illness or infection.
Cleaning Your Dog’s Ears
One of the most important aspects of your dog’s health is keeping their ears clean and free of parasites. And, just as humans are, dogs are susceptible to ear infections.
Contributing factors can include:
- Excess hair in the ear canal
- Excess ear wax
- Foreign bodies
- Hormone imbalances
- Benign or cancerous growths in the ear
- Physical trauma to the ear
Signs of an ear infection include:
- Scratching the ear
- Rubbing the ear on furniture or other hard surfaces
- Yellow, brown, or bloody discharge
- Scabs on the inside of the outer ear
- Hair loss around the ear
- Loss of balance
- Constant tilting or shaking of head
Though frequent bathing keeps your dog clean, bathing alone cannot prevent ear infections. Each week, you should inspect your dog’s ears for foreign objects, parasites, and wax buildup. If your dog is prone to ear infections, your veterinarian may suggest periodic ear cleaning as a long-term preventative measure.
7 Best Dog Ear Cleaner Reviews in 2018
#1. EcoEars All-Natural Dog Ear Cleaner
One of the best ear cleaners for dogs is EcoEars by Vet Organics. This all-natural dog ear cleaning solution is completely safe for your dog and can be used as a preventative treatment or to relieve the complications associated with bacterial ear infections, yeast ear infections, fungal infections, and ear mites.
Headquartered in Boca Raton, Florida, Vet Organics began when one family with a dog who suffered from chronic ear infections began the search for a long-term solution that was hard on the infections but gentle enough to use as a preventative measure as well as a symptom reliever.
After much research and with the help of a brilliant chemist, EcoEars was born – and remains one of the leading solutions for cleaning your dog’s ears.
- 💗 #1 MULTI-SYMPTOM DOG EAR TREATMENT - Itch, smell, and gunk gone in as soon as 2-3 days. Helps restore dogs' ears to...
- 💗 ALL NATURAL -- MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR DOGS - Includes no pharmaceuticals, synthetic chemicals, hydrocortisone...
- 💗 TOP RATED PRODUCT - EcoEars washes away pathogens, grime and most other common invaders in dog's ears. Our natural...
#2. Pet King Brand Zymox Otic Pet Ear Treatment
Pet King Brand Zymox Otic Pet Ear Treatment is one of the best dog ear infection treatments available for your dog. Ear infections in dogs can cause adverse side effects such as itching, redness, and swelling. Zymox helps relieve your dog from these side effects while disinfecting and destroying antibiotic-resistant microbes.
Pet King Brands has its own veterinary and research and development team that is dedicated to developing innovative pet care products that are beneficial and safe for your pets. After years of research, Zymox was introduced in 1998 and changed the way pet ear infections were managed.
Pet King remains one of the leading providers of effective solutions for your pet that are free of harsh chemicals and antibiotic and are easy to use.
- For treating inflammation of the external ear caused by bacterial, viral, and yeast infections
- Contains no antibiotics
- Destroys antibiotic-resistant organisms
#3. VetWELL EarWELL Cat and Dog Ear Cleaner
VetWELL Cat and Dog Ear Cleaner is a dog ear cleaner that is safe enough for every day use. It was formulated by a veterinarian to clean, deodorize, and acidify your dogs’ ears gently. EarWELL can be used as a maintenance dog ear cleaner to help prevent ear infections caused by yeast and mites. The soothing formula makes EarWELL one of the best dog ear cleaning solutions on the market.
The quality products at VetWELL are designed to keep your cats and dogs healthy, strong, and active throughout each stage of development. With a complete line of quality products formulated by veterinarians to be safe and effective, VetWELL is dedicated to keeping your pets healthy and happy.
- VETERINARIAN FORMULATED to Gently Clean, Deodorize, Acidify and Dry Your Pets Ears
- SAFE AND GENTLE Ear Cleanser with Aloe Vera for Daily Use. Won't Sting, Burn or Aggravate the Ear Canal
- Eliminates Build Up of Wax, Fluid, Dirt & Debris to Stop Itching/Scratching, Head Shaking and Irritation
#4. Petpost Pet Ear Cleaner Wipes
Petpost Pet Ear Cleaner Wipes is an all-natural dog ear wash that is gentle enough to use every day. Petpost products are made from natural ingredients and are eco-friendly. Petpost is dedicated to providing safe, natural products that help you provide your dog with a healthy, happy life.
The soft, cotton pads are pre-soaked in a natural cleansing formula that does not sting and does not make a mess. Gentle and easy enough to use for daily cleanings to hinder the development of ear infections cause by debris and dirt in your dog’s ears. The cotton pads eliminate the need to pour messy solutions in your dog’s ear. Just wipe and go.
- MOST EFFECTIVE EAR CLEANER WIPES at blasting away the wax and debris that cat ear mites love. That means a happier cat and...
- VETS AND GROOMERS AGREE that the Petpost Cat Ear Wipes are safer than traditional treatments that use harsh chemical...
- LUXURIOUSLY SOFT COTTON WIPES makes getting to your cat's ears easy. Say goodbye to measuring capfuls, spilled solution,...
#5. Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner
It is designed to leave a protective film on your dog’s hair and skin that reduces the ability of microorganisms from binding to the skin and protects your dog’s ears from environmental factors such as dirt and debris.
Virbac introduced the Allerderm family of dermatology treatments for pets into the US market. The company’s passion is driven by commitment to enhancing the health of companion animals.
- Epi-Otic may be used for routine ear cleansing in healthy ear canal or prior to administration of other ear preparations
- A mild alcohol-free cleansing and drying solution for routine maintenance of otitis externa
- Epi-Otic has a low pH of 2.2 and contains no chlorhexidine or alcohol
#6. Vet’s Best Dog Ear Cleaner Kit
Vet’s Best is a line of pet products manufactured by Hero Pet Brands. Specifically for internal and external health matters, the Vet’s Best brand is committed to using naturally-derived ingredients to provide the safest and most effective products for your pet’s health.
The Vet’s Best Dog Ear Cleaner Kit includes 2 unique blend of natural ingredients – an ear cleaner for dogs and a formula that keeps your dog’s ears dry and odor-free between washings. Vet’s Best Dog Ear Cleaner provides fast and effective relief from raw, red, itchy, and irritated ears.
- COORDINATED TREATMENT - Vet's Best Dog Ear Relief Wash & Dry Cleaner Kit cleans and soothes raw, itchy, and smelly dog ears,...
- FAST AND EFFECTIVE - Ear Relief Wash provides fast, effective relief from red, raw, greasy, itchy, and irritated ears.
- LASTING RESULTS - Ear Relief Dry helps to extend the time between ear cleanings.
#7. Doggie Dailies Pet Ear Cleaner
Doggie Dailies Pet Ear Cleaner is an ear wash for dogs and cats that is gentle enough to use for routine cleaning. It safely loosens dirt, ear wax, and other debris to leave your dog’s ears clean and fresh. Regular use can help prevent ear infections and ear mites.
Doggie Dailies is a family owned and operated business that has been providing premium nutritional supplements for dogs since 1991. The Doggie Dailies mission is to produce safe, natural, and effective products that help you provide a happy and healthy life for your dog.
- 8 FL OZ, VETERINARIAN FORMULATED PET EAR DROPS, SAFE FOR ROUTINE USE: Our dog ear cleaner works great for cats too! Doggie...
- DOG EAR WASH THAT'S EASY TO USE, HAS A FRESH & PLEASANT SCENT, AND WILL NOT BURN OR STING: Doggie Dailies ear cleaner...
- PERFECT EAR CLEANING SOLUTION TO MAINTAIN YOUR PET'S EAR HEALTH & CLEANLINESS: Dogs and puppies of all sizes love our dog ear...
Ear infections are no fun for anyone – pets included. As a pet “parent”, we want our pets to be happy and healthy. While ear infections may not be entirely avoidable, we can ensure that our dogs’ ears are kept as clean as possible and free of dirt, built-up wax, and other debris that could contribute to ear infections.
Dogs love to play. Outdoor play is as healthy for your dogs as it is for humans. However, outdoor play involves dirt, pieces of grass, and possibly water. All these things can irritate your dog’s ears and lead to infections.
With these things in mind, I have chosen VetWELL EarWELL Cat and Dog Ear Cleaner as the best dog ear cleaner from the products reviewed. EarWELL is gentle enough for everyday use for dogs and cats. Formulated by a veterinarian, this formula is designed specifically to help you keep your dogs and cats strong, healthy, and active.
Keep in mind that the formula will not cure an ear infection, but it will keep your dog’s ears free of debris that can cause infections and keep your dog’s ears smelling fresh and clean between baths. Aloe Vera allows you to wash your dog’s ears with no stinging or burning – which results in no fighting or trying to escape and making a mess!
I know we all remember our mom’s or dad’s telling us to wash behind our ears when we were young. VetWELL EarWELL allows you to do the same for your loving pets.
How to Clean Your Dog’s Ears
Now that we have explored products that help clean your dog’s ears, let’s discuss the actual cleaning of your dog’s ears. It stands to reason that dogs with large, floppy ears are more prone to ear irritations and infections – there is lots of room for debris and ear wax to hide.
Some veterinarians recommend cleaning once a month if your dog is not prone to infections. If your dog is prone to infections and needs regular maintenance, it is recommended that you clean their ears once or twice per week.
Here are a few signs your dog’s ears need to be cleaned:
- Red or inflamed ears
- Waxy discharge
- Scabs or crusty spots around the ears
- Hair loss around the ears
- Pour cleaner into dog’s ear until it overflows.
- Squeeze your dog’s ear close to prevent your dog from shaking the cleanser out.
- Gently massage the base of your dog’s ear for about 15 seconds to get the cleaner in all the little nooks and crannies of your dog’s ear canal.
- Let your dog shake the excess cleaner out.
- Pour solution onto a cotton ball and clean the outer parts of your dog’s ears.
- Repeat these steps in your dog’s other ear.
Your dog’s ear is delicate. Here are a few tips to help you avoid accidentally damaging your dog’s ear:
- NEVER use a Q-Tip
- Clean slowly and gently to avoid scratching the ear with your fingernail
- Do not use paper towels or cotton clothes – these can leave irritating fibers in your dog’s ear
- If you see blood or your dog yelps in pain, immediately stop and contact your dog’s veterinarian
- While you want to keep your dog’s ears clean, excessive cleaning can do more harm than good, and can actually lead to ear infections rather than preventing
If your dog’s show the signs discussed earlier, make an appointment with his/her veterinarian. Be sure to have the following information for the vet:
- How long has your dog had the symptoms? (swelling, pain, discharge, or odor)
- Does your dog have allergies or other medical conditions that contribute to ear infections?
- Is your dog taking any medications?
- What has your dog’s recent diet been like?
- Have you trimmed ear hair recently?
- Has are your dog’s recent activities – swimming, playing in dirt or grass, bath, grooming?
- How often do your clean your dog’s ears?
- Does your dog have a history of infections?